Student Agreement and Program Terms & Conditions
This Student Agreement and Program Terms and Conditions (“Agreement”) is updated from time to time. The controlling, legally-binding version will be emailed to all students for review and signature when they receive an offer to join a Sage Corps program. The version of the Agreement that is signed by a student is legally binding – the information below is for reference so that prospective students and families know what we expect and ask of our students.
WHEREAS You have been selected by Sage Corps to participate in the Sage Corps program (the “Program”) abroad for the time period referenced in Your official offer email. PLEASE NOTE THE EXACT DATES OF THE PROGRAM ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE;
WHEREAS You will be assigned a placement at a host company (the “Company”) through Sage Corps, as part of Your participation in the Program; and
WHEREAS You may, subject to pre-approval of your home university (if applicable) and Sage Corps’ Academic partner, Trinity, earn academic credit upon completion of the Program, subject to Your satisfying any applicable eligibility and enrollment criteria. You acknowledge and agree that in no event will Sage Corps have any responsibility or liability for any matter arising with respect to any academic credit earned or sought.
NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration of the promises set forth in this Agreement, the Parties agree as follows:
1. YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF SAGE CORPS’ OFFER. Your execution of this document (by signing Your name electronically or otherwise) is considered an acceptance of Sage Corps’ offer to You to participate in the Program. BY SIGNING THIS AGREEMENT, YOU AGREE TO BE LEGALLY BOUND BY ALL OF ITS TERMS.
2. RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN YOU, SAGE CORPS, AND THE COMPANY.
(a) You understand and agree that during the Program (or thereafter) You are not an employee of the Company or of Sage Corps. Rather, You are a volunteer participant in the Sage Corps program, and agree to act as an outside consultant to the Company, which may in its sole discretion provide a stipend to You for purposes of covering any of Your expenses during the Program. You are not an agent of the Company or Sage Corps for any purposes and have no authority to bind or commit the Company or Sage Corps in any way. At no time during the Program shall You enter (or be deemed to have entered) into an employment relationship with the Company or with Sage Corps.
(b) You acknowledge and agree that (i) Your participation in the Program is related to an educational purpose and is for Your express, educational benefit, (ii) You will participate in the Program under the supervision of the Company’s management, (iii) the Company does not expect to derive immediate advantage from the activities You perform during Your participation in the Program, (iv) Your participation in the Program is educational in nature and there is no guarantee or expectation that Your participation in the Program will result in employment by the Company or otherwise, (v) the Program is designed to provide You with skills that can be used in multiple employment settings, (vi) You are not replacing or displacing any employee of the Company during Your participation in the Program, (vi) You are not entitled to wages or other compensation for time spent in the Program and (vii) Your training during the Program is intended to be similar to that which would be given in an educational environment. You further acknowledge and agree that Your participation in the Program is for Your primary benefit.
(c) Further, You acknowledge and agree that You may not, at any time, act as a representative for or on behalf of the Company or Sage Corps for any purpose or transaction, and may not bind or otherwise obligate the Company or Sage Corps in any manner whatsoever without obtaining the prior written approval of the Company or Sage Corps, as applicable, therefor. The Parties hereby acknowledge and agree that any stipend (if any) or any other fee paid shall represent a partial refund from your program fee payment. You further acknowledge that neither the Company nor Sage Corps makes any warranties as to any tax consequences regarding payment of such stipend or other fee, and specifically agrees that the determination of any tax liability or other consequences of any payment made hereunder is Your sole and complete responsibility and that You will pay all taxes, if any, assessed on such payments under the applicable laws of any federal, state, local, foreign or other jurisdiction and, to the extent not so paid, will indemnify Sage Corps for any taxes so assessed against Sage Corps. You also understand and agree that during the Program, You shall not be entitled to participate in any of the employee benefit plans or arrangements of the Company or Sage Corps, unless otherwise agreed to between You and the Company or Sage Corps, respectively. In furtherance of the foregoing, You hereby waive and reject all rights to receive, apply for, or participate in any benefit plans or policies of Sage Corps or the Company.
(d) Your relationship with the Company, including, without limitation, the terms and conditions of service with the Company, shall be governed and directed exclusively by the Company. You further acknowledge and agree that Sage Corps does not control, co-determine, or dictate the terms and conditions of Your service with the Company.
3. TRAVEL DOCUMENTS AND EXPENSES. You shall obtain a valid passport and all other necessary travel documents prior to departing for the Host Country. You should understand the particular entrance requirements of those countries You plan to enter, as well as re-entry into the United States of America if You are a non-U.S. citizen. You are responsible for paying for Your flight to the Host Country, as well any and all expenses associated with securing a visa if required for entry into the Host Country. You are responsible for all expenses arising with respect to the Program, other than expenses expressly assumed by Sage Corps in writing. You understand and accept that Sage Corps and is not responsible for changes of flight times, flight cancellations, fare changes, damage, loss of baggage, dishonor of airline, delays, losses, injuries, inconveniences, cessation of operations, airline bankruptcy, accidents, or for the acts of defaults of any person or entity engaged in transporting You to the Host Country.
4. HEALTHCARE. You hereby represent to Sage Corps that You have consulted with a licensed healthcare provider and are in good health to travel abroad and do further state that there are no health related issues that preclude (or may preclude) Your participation in the Program. You acknowledge and agree that You shall be responsible for obtaining all vaccinations and immunizations that are required or recommended for travel to the Host Country, including but not limited to proof of a COVID-19 vaccination or proof of a negative COVID-19 test. YOU AGREE TO COMPLETE HONESTLY, ACCURATELY AND FULLY ALL REQUIRED PRE-DEPARTURE HEALTH FORMS, and to exercise reasonable and recommended precautions while in the Host Country with respect to basic health protective measures, food, drink, personal hygiene, personal conduct, and exposure to known disease risk factors, including but not limited to COVID-19 and other related viruses. You understand and agree that it is Your responsibility to determine, in consultation with licensed health practitioners (including but not limited mental health professionals), whether You should participate in the Program. And while in the Host Country, You agree to follow all health and safety policies and regulations, including but not limited to COVID-19 quarantine.
5. PROGRAM FEE PAYMENTS. Unless otherwise agreed by the Parties (including but not limited to a third party payment on Your behalf), the Program fee is set forth on Sage Corps’ website for Your program. Because Sage Corps immediately begins incurring expenses on Your behalf upon Your acceptance into the Program, Your initial payment in the amount of $1,000.00 USD is due with Your acceptance of Sage Corps’ written offer to You. The initial payment shall be applied to the Program tuition, and is only refundable in the event that we are unable to safely and confidently run any in-person programming due to COVID-19 restrictions. The balance due will then be divided into two subsequent payments: Half of remaining program balance due within 90 days of program start, and the remaining balance is due within 60 days of program start. Please note if You are enrolling in a Start! Program, You will only pay the balance due in one subsequent payment after the initial payment within 60 days of program confirmation. If you have received any scholarships or referral discounts, those will be applied to your final program payment. Sage Corps reserves the right to revoke its invitation to You (without refund) in the event that You fail to pay either the initial payment or balance when due.
6. PERSONAL INFORMATION.
(a) If You would like academic credit as part of the Program, You hereby consent to authorizing Sage Corps to act on Your behalf and to provide all necessary information required by its academic partner, Trinity, with respect to Your enrollment and participation in coursework to earn academic credit during the Program.
(b) You hereby explicitly and unambiguously consent to the collection, use and transfer, in electronic or other form, of Your personal data by and among, as applicable, Trinity, the Company and Sage Corps for the exclusive purpose of implementing, administering and managing Your participation in the Program and matters related thereto.
(c) You understand that Trinity, the Company and Sage Corps may hold certain personal information about You, including, but not limited to, Your name, home address, e-mail address and telephone number, date of birth, social security number or other identification number, nationality, title, position, and duties held in the Company, and details of Your participation in the Program (collectively, “Data”).
(d) You understand that Data will be transferred to Trinity, the Company and Sage Corps and/or such other third parties as may be selected by Trinity, the Company and Sage Corps in the future to assist Trinity, the Company and Sage Corps with the implementation, administration and management of the Program, that these recipients may be located in Your country or elsewhere, and that the recipient’s country may have different data privacy laws and protections than Your country. You understand that You may request a list with the names and addresses of any potential recipients of the Data by contacting Your designated representative at Sage Corps.
(e) You authorize Trinity, the Company and Sage Corps and any other possible recipients which may assist Trinity, the Company and Sage Corps (presently or in the future) with implementing, admin- istering and managing the Plan to receive, possess, use, retain and transfer the Data, in electronic or other form, for the sole purpose of implementing, administering and managing the Program, including, without limitation, any requisite transfer of such Data as may be required to a third party. You understand that Data will be held only as long as is necessary to implement, administer and manage Your participation in the Program. You understand that You may, at any time, view Data, request additional information about the storage and processing of Data, require any necessary amendments to Data or refuse or withdraw the consents herein, in any case without cost, by contacting in writing Your designated representative. You understand, however, that refusing or withdrawing consent may affect Your ability to participate in the Program.
7. PLACEMENT. Sage Corps will use its best efforts for Your placement at the Company upon receipt of Your initial non-refundable payment, but subject to receipt of Your payment of the outstanding balance as set forth in Section 5, and to any other terms and conditions in this Agreement. In its sole discretion, Sage Corps further reserves the right to reassign You to a different company that Sage Corps deems will provide a similar professional experience. In this scenario, Sage Corps will not issue a refund if You do not accept this reassigned Company.
8. SCHEDULE. Unless otherwise agreed by You and the Company and approved by Sage Corps, You are expected to spend Monday-Friday, 9AM-5PM working with the Company (excluding holidays, with permission from the Company). You must arrive on time and may not leave early unless you have the Company’s permission – as a short-term professional experience at the Company, you should not ask for more than a few days off during the Program absent a compelling reason such as personal health. If you enrolled in the Start! Program, you must follow the daily itinerary for the program that we will provide one week before the program begins.
9. STUDENT CODE OF CONDUCT AND REMOVAL FROM THE PROGRAM. In Your capacity as an outside consultant to the Company, You agree to abide by all policies, procedures, rules and regulations imposed by Sage Corps, the Company, Trinity, and all applicable laws (including, without limitation, any policies posted to the website of Sage Corps, the Company or Trinity and You acknowledge and agree that it is Your responsibility to check and read all materials posted to the foregoing websites). Sage Corps and/or the Company, in its or their sole discretion, have the right to remove You from the Program if You violate any of these policies, procedures, rules and regulations, or otherwise fail to perform within the rules of the Company or if You violate an applicable law (any such violation, together with any act or event described in the Sage Corps Code of Conduct (“Code of Conduct”), included below. By signing this Agreement, You agree to follow all terms set forth in the Code of Conduct.
You, or the third party that pays on your behalf, will not receive reimbursement of any portion of Your Program tuition if You are removed due to a Code of Conduct violation. If Sage Corps or the Company seeks to remove You from the Program other than due to Your Code of Conduct violation, the Parties and the Company shall work cooperatively to explore alternatives to Your removal from the Program. You will attend to and assume responsibility for any legal issues or problems You encounter with any foreign nationals or government of the Host Country. Sage Corps is not responsible for providing any assistance under such circumstance. However, should a reasonable solution not be possible on-site, You will be removed from the Program at the discretion of the Company or Sage Corps.
If You break any items at Your assigned housing accommodations, You are 100% liable and responsible to pay for any property damage incurred and must pay the funds directly to the housing provider. You understand and hereby acknowledge that neither the Company nor Sage Corps is (and shall not be) responsible or liable for any damage, theft, casualty, loss, or destruction involving Your personal property. You are highly encouraged to leave any valuables besides your phone and laptop at home, and otherwise take out an insurance policy to cover any items you bring on the Program against damage or theft.
10. ADVERTISING AND MARKETING. You agree that Sage Corps may use Your first name, last name, likeness, testimonials, photograph, or photographs/videos of You that are created during the Program Period on its website, social networking sites (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or Linkedln), and in any other marketing materials or other media. In furtherance of the foregoing, You hereby grant to Sage Corps a non-exclusive license to use, without further compensation or approval from You, Your name, image, portrait, voice, likeness and all other rights of publicity, or any derivative or modification thereto that Sage Corps or the Company or any other person may create, in any and all mediums, now known or hereafter developed. You understand this total release of rights irrevocably means that Sage Corps may, without limitation, exercise all ownership rights including copyrights relating to the subject matter of this provision. For the sake of clarity, Sage Corps shall have the right, without Your consent and with any remuneration payable to You, to use, publish and disseminate Your name and likeness and photographs and/or videos of You (and other similar information and reproductions) in any media at any time in perpetuity. This provision shall survive termination of this Agreement.
11. CONFIDENTIALITY. During the course of the Program, You may have access to “Confidential Information,” which shall mean all data, trade secrets, inventions, sketches, specifications, designs, models, plans, method, processes and any other proprietary information in any form or medium of the Company or Sage Corps. You agree that You will not make available, sell, disclose, or otherwise communicate to any person, other than as permitted pursuant to this Agreement, any Confidential Information. The foregoing shall not apply to information that becomes generally known to the public either before or after disclosure to You. You understand that the Company may require You to execute a non-disclosure agreement. You agree that You will execute and abide by any non-disclosure agreement that is reasonable in its terms. This confidentiality provision shall survive the termination of this Agreement. You hereby acknowledge that “An individual shall not be held criminally or civilly liable under any Federal or State trade secret law for the disclosure of a trade secret that (A) is made (i) in confidence to a Federal, State, or local government official, either directly or indirectly, or to an attorney; and (ii) solely for the purpose of reporting or investigating a suspected violation of law; or (B) is made in a complaint or other document filed in a lawsuit or other proceeding, if such filing is made under seal.” If You are found to have wrongfully misappropriated trade secrets, You may be liable for, among other things, exemplary damages and attorneys’ fees. Nothing herein shall preclude You from exercising any whistleblower rights.
12. STUDENT WORK-PRODUCT OWNERSHIP. You agree that (a) all works created by You under the Company’s direction in connection with Your participation in this Program, whether or not copyright- able, are “works made for hire” and shall be the sole and complete property of the Company; (b) any and all copyrights or patents to such works shall belong to the Company; and (c) You shall execute all documents that may be necessary to convey or assign to the Company any rights You may have in such works, including copyright or patent rights. To the extent such works are not deemed to be “works for hire,” You hereby assign all proprietary rights, including copyright, in such works to the Company without further compensation. This provision shall survive the termination of this Agreement. Your assignment under this paragraph does not apply to works for which no equipment, supplies, facility, or Confidential Information of the Company was used and which was developed entirely on Your own time, unless the work relates to: (a) the business of the Company, or (b) the Company’s actual or demonstrably anticipated research or development, or the work results from any work performed by You for the Company. The Company is an intended third party beneficiary of this paragraph 12 and paragraph 11 above.
13. AGREEMENT DURATION. Unless otherwise specified herein, this Agreement shall remain in effect until the end of the Program.
14. CANCELLATION, EARLY TERMINATION, AND REFUNDS.
(a) If You withdraw from the Program for any reason more than 90 days before the start of the Program, Sage Corps will retain the non-refundable initial payment. Additionally, Sage Corps will retain any portion of the remaining balance of the Program fee that it used to pay its third party vendors;
(b) If You withdraw from the Program for any reason 90 or less days, but more than 60 days, before the start of the program, Sage Corps will retain the non-refundable initial payment and the second payment. Additionally, Sage Corps will retain any portion of the remaining balance of the Program fee that it used to pay its third party vendors;
(b) If You withdraw from the Program for any reason 60 or less days before the start of the Program, Sage Corps will not refund any portion of the Program fee.
(c) If You withdraw, or are removed from the Program pursuant to Section 9 of this Agreement, at any time before or after the start of the Program, You shall not be entitled to any refund.
(d) If circumstances beyond Sage Corps’ control necessitates an early termination of the Program, except as set forth in Section 9 and the attached Code of Conduct, You will not be entitled to any refund. These circumstances include, but are not limited to: acts of god, natural disasters, civil unrest, political risk, a health-related pandemic, and acts or threats of war or terrorism.
(e) Neither the Company nor Sage Corps shall have any liability for any losses or claims incurred by You as a result of Your removal from the Program as described in Sections 9 or 14(b) or 14(c) of this Agreement.
15. ASSUMPTION OF RISK. You understand that traveling to and living in another country during the Program period includes certain risks. You are aware of these risks, including but not limited to theft, burglary, assault, traffic accidents, arrest in foreign countries, physical injury, loss of property, medical needs and emergencies, mental illness, physical illness, COVID-19 and related variants, kidnap, sexual assault and death. You understand that You may be travelling in and out of areas that pose a danger to You, including but not limited to areas with criminal activity, civil unrest, terrorism, or insurrection. You further understand the risks of living in a foreign country where laws and the judicial system may be different from what You are accustomed to and where penalties may be harsh and constitutional safeguards may not exist. YOU HEREBY ACCEPT THE RISKS INHERENT IN YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE PROGRAM, AND IN YOUR PLACEMENT AT THE COMPANY. You hereby assume full responsibility for risk of bodily or mental/emotional injury or death, or damage to or loss of property incurred, whether due to the negligent conduct of the Covered Group (defined below) or otherwise, while participating in the Program, placed with the Company or at any other time. In furtherance of the foregoing, You hereby agree to defend, indemnify and hold-harmless the Covered Group, jointly and/or separately, for any loss, liability, damage or cost, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, incurred, directly or indirectly, as a result of Your participation in the Program, placement at the Company or resulting from any other activities that You may engage in at any other time. This assumption of risk and indemnity provision shall survive the termination of this Agreement.
16. FULL RELEASE OF LIABILITY. In consideration of Sage Corps’ approval of Your participation in the program, to the maximum extent permitted by law, YOU HEREBY RELEASE AND AGREE NOT TO HOLD SAGE CORPS, ITS AGENTS AND EMPLOYEES, OFFICERS, DIRECTORS AND EMPLOYEES (THE “COVERED GROUP”), LIABLE FOR ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, LIABILITIES, OR OBLIGATIONS FOR ANY LOSS, DAMAGE, INJURY, DEATH, FINES, DEMANDS, AND CAUSES OF ACTION OF ANY KIND (INCLUDING ATTORNEY’S FEES) RELATING TO OR ARISING OUT OF YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE PROGRAM OR PLACEMENT AT THE COMPANY, IN ADDITION TO ANY OTHER ACTIVITIES IN WHICH YOU PARTICIPATE OUTSIDE OF THE PROGRAM, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO NIGHT AND WEEKEND ACTIVITIES. You expressly agree that the release, waiver, acknowledgment of risk and indemnity provisions set forth herein are intended to be as broad and inclusive as is permitted by law and that if any portion thereof is held invalid, it is agreed that the balance shall, notwithstanding, continue in full legal force and effect. The foregoing release does not apply to claims determined to be the result of Sage Corps’ gross negligence. It is Your express intent that this Full Release of Liability shall bind Your family (which includes, without limitation, Your spouse, parents, siblings, descendants (including, without limitation, children, adoptive relationships and stepchildren) and the spouses of each such natural persons) and Your heirs, assigns and personal representatives. The released parties under this Section are intended third party beneficiaries of this Section. This release provision shall survive the termination of this Agreement.
17. MEDICAL TREATMENT. Without limiting Section 16, You hereby and forever release and discharge Sage Corps from any claim whatsoever which arises or may hereafter arise on account of any first-aid treatment or other medical services rendered to You or to Your dependents/companions in connection with an emergency or health problem during Your participation in the Program.
18. GOVERNING LAW; ARBITRATION. This Agreement shall be construed and enforced in accordance with and governed by the laws of the State of Illinois, without regard to the choice of law principles thereof. Any dispute or controversy arising hereunder between or among the Parties hereto, or in respect of any other matter, cause or thing whatsoever not herein otherwise provided for, shall be submitted to arbitration for final resolution in Chicago, IL before a single arbitrator, which is agreed to by all Parties, in accordance with the rules of the American Arbitration Association. Should You pursue any dispute or matter covered by this section by any method other than said arbitration, Sage Corps and/or the Company shall be entitled to recover from You all damages, costs, expenses, and attorneys’ fees incurred as a result of such action. The Parties expressly intend and agree that: (a) class action and representative action procedures shall not be asserted, nor will they apply, in any arbitration proceedings; (b) each will not assert class action or representative action claims against the other in arbitration or otherwise; and (c) the Parties shall only submit their own, individual claims in arbitration and will not seek to represent the interests of any other person. Further, the Parties expressly intend and agree that any claims by You will not be joined, consolidated, or heard together with claims of any other individual or person. In the event the prohibition on class arbitration is deemed invalid or unenforceable, then the remaining portions of the arbitration provision will remain in force. The cost and expenses of such arbitration shall be borne equally by each of the Parties to such dispute. The decision of the arbitrator shall be final and binding upon the Parties, and such decision shall be enforceable through any courts having jurisdiction. This arbitration provision, however, expressly excludes Your right to file a claim for workers compensation, a claim for unemployment insurance benefits or under the Employee Retirement Income Security Act, or a charge with the National Labor Relations Board for unfair labor practices under the National Labor Relations Act. This provision shall survive the termination of the Agreement. Nothing contained in this section or otherwise shall limit the right of Sage Corps or the Company to enforce by court injunction or other equitable relief Your obligations with respect to the confidential information provisions of this Agreement or any other restrictive covenant obligation owing to Sage Corps, the Company or their affiliates.
19. NOTICE. Except as specified herein, all notices, communications and reports required or permitted pursuant to this Agreement shall be in writing, and sent via e-mail addressed to the Parties at the addresses set forth below, or at such other address as may be specified hereafter in writing by any Party hereto to the other Party hereto in accordance with this Section. All notices sent via e-mail shall include the following, or substantially similar, text in the subject line: “Notice: Sage Corps Student”:
If to Sage Corps:
Attn: Campus Relations 222 W Merchandise Mart Plaza #1212, Chicago, IL 60654
Email: [email protected]
If to You:
The email address You provided on Your online application to Sage Corps. (You acknowledge and agree that in the event of a change in Your mailing or email address it is Your responsibility to update Your contact information by written notice to Sage Corps).
You are required to have an e-mail address, and updated contact information, on file for official Program correspondence and to check email regularly. Program officials will be sending important information to You using this address. You will be responsive to Program officials and its partners from the time of application through the end of the Program.
20. ENTIRE AGREEMENT. This Agreement contains all the terms and conditions to which the Parties have agreed and supersedes any and all prior understandings, agreements, promises, warranties and representations, whether oral or written, relating to the subject matter of this Agreement; provided that any restrictive and/or protective covenants entered into between You on the one hand and Sage Corps and/or the Company on the other hand shall be in addition to, and not in lieu of, any similar covenants set forth in this Agreement. This Agreement may be amended only upon the mutual written agreement of the Parties.
21. SEVERABILITY. The provisions of this Agreement shall be deemed severable. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of this Agreement in any jurisdiction shall not affect the validity, legality or enforceability of the remainder of this Agreement in such jurisdiction. The Parties intend that all rights and obligations of the Parties shall be enforceable to the fullest extent permitted by the applicable law.
21. HEADINGS. Headings in this Agreement are not controlling, and merely used for ease of reference.
22. COUNTERPARTS. This Agreement may be executed in counterparts, each of which shall be deemed to be an original but all of which together will constitute one and the same instrument. Any such counterpart may be executed and delivered by telecopier, email, facsimile or other electronic transmission all with the same force and effect as if the same was a manually executed and delivered original counterpart.
23. MISCELLANEOUS. This Agreement shall be binding upon and inure to the benefit of the Parties hereto and their respective successors and permitted assigns; provided, however, that You may not assign or delegate Your rights or obligations under this Agreement without the express prior written consent of Sage Corps. Waiver by any Party of any default by the other Party of any provision of this Agreement shall not be deemed a waiver by the waiving Party of any subsequent or other default, nor shall it prejudice the rights of the other Party. The Parties acknowledge that this Agreement and all the terms and conditions herein have been fully reviewed and negotiated by the Parties and their respective attorneys. Having acknowledged the foregoing, the Parties agree that any principle of construction or rule of law that provides that, in the event of any inconsistency or ambiguity, an agreement shall be construed against the drafter of the agreement shall have no application to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. In addition to the actions specifically provided for elsewhere in this Agreement, each of the Parties hereto will cooperate with each other and shall use their commercially reasonable efforts to take, or cause to be taken, all actions, and to do, or cause to be done, all things, reasonably necessary, proper or advisable under applicable laws, regulations and agreements to consummate and make effective the transactions contemplated by this Agreement.
You have carefully read this Agreement before signing it. You acknowledge that You have had an opportunity to ask any questions You have about it, that You understand and accept its terms, and that You have signed it knowingly and voluntarily. You are at least eighteen (18) years of age and fully competent.
THE PARTIES HEREBY CONSENT AND AGREE THAT ELECTRONICALLY SIGNING THIS AGREEMENT CONSTITUTES YOUR LEGALLY BINDING AND ENFORCEABLE ACCEPTANCE OF THIS AGREEMENT’S TERMS. THE PARTIES AGREE THAT YOUR ELECTRONIC SIGNATURE IS THE LEGAL EQUIVALENT OF YOUR MANUAL WRITTEN SIGNATURE. THE PARTIES FURTHER AGREE THAT NO CERTIFICATION AUTHORITY OR OTHER THIRD PARTY VERIFICATION IS NECESSARY TO VALIDATE ANY ELECTRONIC SIGNATURE; AND THAT THE LACK OF SUCH CERTIFICATION OR THIRD PARTY VERIFICATION WILL NOT IN ANY WAY AFFECT THE ENFORCEABILITY OF THIS AGREEMENT.
THE PARTIES HEREBY CONSENT AND AGREE THAT YOUR INITIAL PROGRAM PAYMENT CONSTITUTES YOUR LEGALLY BINDING AND ENFORCEABLE ACCEPTANCE OF THIS AGREEMENT (A COPY OF WHICH IS ALWAYS ACCESSIBLE TO YOU) AND ITS TERMS.
Sage Corps Code of Conduct
The Sage Corps Program is designed to be a significant, educational, and transformative experience. Sage Corps is committed to providing a positive and safe experience for all Fellows. As a Fellow in our program, and by signing the Student Agreement, You agree to be legally bound to this Code of Conduct, which applies to all aspects of the Sage Corps Program. As a professional program, Sage Corps expects that you will act professionally at all times. Sage Corps and/or the Company, in its or their sole discretion, have the right to remove You from the Program if You violate any of these policies, procedures, rules and regulations, or otherwise fail to perform within the rules of the Company or if You violate an applicable law. Without limiting the foregoing, removal will occur if:
(a) You violate any local laws in the Host Country or countries in which you reside or travel to during the course of the program or otherwise
(b) You possess or use any quantity of illegal substances during the course of the Program
(c) You perform (or attempt to perform) Your duties for the Company under the influence of any drug (other than prescribed medication) or alcohol
(d) You create an unsafe or unsatisfactory living environment in your place of residence or a residence in which you are staying or visiting during the course of the program
(e) You engage in an unauthorized change in employment or internship placement
(f) You engage in harassment, including but not limited to, sexual harassment or other forms of dis- criminatory harassment in any way
(g) You engage in theft of public or private property or services
(h) You are unwilling to participate in the Sage Corps program designed for Your fellowship experience or fail to meet program schedule commitments (refusal to attend work at the Company or to attend scheduled online events organized by Sage Corps and its partners without good cause)
(i) You fail to comply with Sage Corps health, safety, or emergency protocols in any way without good cause, including policies and procedures related to COVID-19 set forth by Sage Corps staff
(j) You fail to respond in a timely manner to any communications (whether over email, text message, or wifi enabled communication tools such as Whatsapp or Slack) received from Sage Corps, its staff, and its partners, during the course of the Program. Please note that you must have a working cell phone with a SIM card that allows for calls and text messages in addition to wifi enabled communications.
(k) You engage in behavior that the Company deems an immediate threat to the health or welfare of the Company’s staff or its business operations
(l) You fail to abide by Your agreed-upon work schedule with the Company
(m) You violate any confidentiality policies, rules, or other regulations imposed by the Company or as outlined in any term of this Agreement;
(n) You endanger Yourself or others through activities or behavior that could result in personal harm such as, but not limited to, attending dangerous places, failure to appropriately maintain and monitor personal physical and mental health, or excessive or repeated intoxication; and/or
(o) You engage in behavior that is harmful (or could be harmful) to the Company, Sage Corps, or other fellows in Your cohort.
You understand that Your own conduct is the central factor in promoting individual safety and well-being. You agree to take personal responsibility for observing culturally appropriate behavior, exercising sound judgment and abiding by all applicable laws and policies.
Students who want to earn academic credit must separately abide by the policies and procedures set forth by our academic partner, Trinity, in its Student Handbook.
By electronically signing the Student Agreement and this Code of Conduct, You agree to adhere to its terms, and acknowledge that any violation of the Code of Conduct may lead to immediate dismissal from the Sage Corps program. A dismissal from the Sage Corps Program means that You will also be dismissed from any enrolled courses through Trinity and You will no longer be eligible to receive academic credit.
COVID-19 PARTICIPATION WAIVER
This COVID-19 Participation Waiver (COVID-19 Waiver) is effective and entered into by and between Sage Corps, LLC (“Sage Corps”), an Illinois limited liability company located in Chicago, Illinois and YOU, the undersigned Student (“You”; collectively, the “Parties”) by virtue of your program enrollment and shall act as an addendum to Your signed Sage Corps Student Agreement and Terms and Conditions (“Student Agreement”).
WHEREAS You have been selected by Sage Corps to participate in an in-person Sage Corps Abroad Program (the “Program”);
WHEREAS the United States Department of State and Center for Disease Control have issued a travel advisory for United States citizens traveling abroad to your Program country; and
WHEREAS You knowingly and voluntarily still plan to participate in the Program;
NOW, THEREFORE, in consideration of the promises set forth in this Agreement, the Parties agree as follows:
1. Because COVID-19 is extremely contagious and is spread mainly from person-to-person contact, Sage Corps has put in place preventative measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19 (or any variant, hereinafter “COVID-19”) during the Program. However, Sage Corps cannot guarantee that its participating students, staff, or partners will not become infected with COVID-19. As the applicable local, national, and international guidelines change periodically, You agree that You will comply with the protocols set forth in a separate document that will be emailed to You by your program manager before your program arrival, entitled Country-Specific COVID-19 Protocols and Procedures.
2. Duty to Self-Monitor. You agree to self-monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 (symptoms typically include fever, cough, shortness of breath, fatigue, and loss of taste or smell), and notify Sage Corps immediately if You experience symptoms of COVID-19 at any time before (up to 5 days), during, or within 5 days after participating in a Sage Corps in-person program. You further agree to notify Sage Corps as soon as possible if You believe that You may have been exposed to a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19 or have been diagnosed with COVID-19 before (up to 5 days), during, or within 5 days after participating in a Sage Corps in-person program.
3. Liability Waiver and Release of Claims Related to COVID-19. You acknowledge You willingly participate in the Program and HEREBY RELEASE, WAIVE AND FOREVER DISCHARGES ANY AND ALL LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DEMANDS OF WHATEVER KIND OR NATURE AGAINST SAGE CORPS AND ITS DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, VOLUNTEERS, AGENTS, AND CONTRACTORS (THE
“RELEASED PARTIES”), EITHER IN LAW OR IN EQUITY, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY LAW, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO DAMAGES OR LOSSES CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE, FAULT OR CONDUCT OF ANY KIND ON THE PART OF THE RELEASED PARTIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO DEATH, BODILY INJURY, ILLNESS, ECONOMIC LOSS OR OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES, OR LOSS OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY, WHICH YOU, YOUR HEIRS, ASSIGNEES, NEXT OF KIN AND/OR LEGALLY APPOINTED OR DESIGNATED REPRESENTATIVES, MAY HAVE OR WHICH MAY HEREINAFTER ACCRUE ON YOUR BEHALF, WHICH ARISE OR MAY HEREAFTER ARISE FROM YOUR PARTICIPATION IN THE PROGRAM RELATED TO COVID-19.
3. Assumption of Risk. You acknowledge and understand the following: a) Participation in the Program includes possible exposure to COVID-19. While Sage Corps’ COVID-19 procedures and protocols may reduce this risk, the risk of serious illness and death still exists; b) You knowingly and freely assume all such risks related to COVID-19 in the Program, even if arising from the negligence or fault of the Released Parties; and c) You hereby knowingly assume the risk of injury, harm and loss associated with the Program, including any injury, harm and loss caused by the negligence, fault or conduct of any kind on the part of the Released Parties related to Covid-19.
4. Acknowledgement of Additional Costs. Pursuant to Your duty to self-monitor as set forth in section 2, You agree to incur all associated costs, including but not limited to new housing accommodations (including but not limited to a separate apartment or hotel room for quarantine/isolation), flight changes or cancellations, additional food, COVID-19 tests, and any other medical care during or after the Program related to COVID-19. You will receive medical insurance coverage during the Program from CISI that may cover certain medical costs.
5. MEDICAL ACKNOWLEDGMENT AND RELEASE. You agree that if You experience any symptoms of COVID-19 during the Program, You will discontinue participation immediately and seek appropriate medical attention. YOU HEREBY RELEASE AND FOREVER DISCHARGE THE RELEASED PARTIES FROM ANY CLAIM WHATSOEVER WHICH ARISES OR MAY HEREAFTER ARISE ON ACCOUNT OF ANY FIRST AID, TREATMENT, OR SERVICE RENDERED IN CONNECTION WITH SERVICE PROVIDER’S PARTICIPATION IN THE ACTIVITY RELATED TO COVID-19. and agree that the Released Parties will not be responsible for any personal injury (including death), property damage, or other loss suffered as a result of your participation in the Program related to COVID-19, regardless if any such injuries or losses are caused by the negligence of any of the Released Parties (collectively, the “Released Claims”) . BY ATTENDING AND/OR PARTICIPATING IN THE PROGRAM YOU ARE DEEMED TO HAVE GIVEN A FULL RELEASE OF LIABILITY TO THE RELEASED PARTIES TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
6. Addendum to Student Agreement and Severability. The Parties agree this COVID-19 Waiver does not replace any portion of the Student Agreement, and is meant to supplement it and is hereby incorporated by reference therein. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of this Addendum in any jurisdiction shall not affect the validity, legality or enforceability of the remainder of this Addendum in such jurisdiction. The
Parties intend that all rights and obligations of the Parties shall be enforceable to the fullest extent permitted by the applicable law.