INTERN ABROAD IN BERLIN
Berlin is one of Europe’s most popular startup hubs. It has the advantage of having a lower cost of living than other major cities, and the city’s creative scene has brought a new perspective to the industry. Berlin has a reputation for nurturing creative people and lifestyles. It’s a diverse and welcoming city, you will find it’s a progressive place to intern abroad. You will love the street art, music, nightlife and street food of this cool capital.
- Make the most of your summer by spending 8-weeks in Berlin, gaining valuable work experience at a startup across a variety of industries
- Live with other Sage Corps interns in apartment style housing
- A fun and affordable city to explore and amazing location to plan other travels outside Berlin while you’re abroad
- Learn how Berlin took the #1 spot for best startup city in Europe according to founders last year in the Startup Heatmap rankings
- Gain unique global experience that will make you stand out in future job interviews
Internships at startups in Berlin include sales/business development, digital marketing, data analytics, software development, UX/UI design, graphic design and finance/business analytics across a variety of industries.
- Racemappr is an app that connects event organizers with competitors interested in racing – running, triathlons, swimathons and more. Help Racemappr achieve their goal of creating a community of like minded enthusiasts with a marketing internship.
- TrashCoin is a company attempting to eradicate plastic waste by using AI technology and incentivizing recycling. TrashCoin is a digital marketplace offering services including a plastic refund system, Uber for waste, and plastic collection. TrashCoin has hosted business development and business analytics interns. They seek students with an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Karis Digital’s mission is to provide a platform connecting people to artists and art therapists. They believe creative activities can help people express themselves and aid in healthy mental health practices. Interns have focused on business development and marketing roles where they helped increase Karis Digital’s brand recognition.
How does this program work?
- Apply on our Website – it’s free to start your application and apply in under 10 minutes.
- Interview with Sage Corps – we want to learn more about you and see if you are a good fit for the program.
- Accept Offer – Selected candidates will receive an offer to join our program. To accept, you will sign our enrollment agreement and make your initial program payment to secure your spot.
- Enroll in Skills Academy – You will start your hard and soft skill training online in your selected track to help prepare you for your internship.
- Interview with Startup – Based on your internship role and location preferences, we will match you with a startup for an interview.
- Pre-Departure Process – We will prepare you to go abroad. This means help with everything from applying for your visa to booking flights. We will book your housing and medical insurance for you.
- Intern Abroad – Arrive in Berlin for your orientation program and then start your 8-week internship. You will attend included cultural activities with your cohort and our staff.
- Join our Alumni Network – after the program you join our alumni network with networking and career opportunities.
- 3.0 min GPA to apply*
- Currently enrolled university student or recent graduate
- All majors are eligible to apply
- All internships are conducted in English unless discussed otherwise
*If you fall below the GPA requirement you will be asked to provide an additional GPA statement.
You have the option to receive academic credit for this program through our School of Record, Trinity. Students typically earn between 3-6 credits and there is an additional $350 cost for the transcript. Learn more.
Sage Corps Orientation
Our orientation program is designed to acquaint you with your new home and prepare you to make the most out of your internship. You will meet our local staff and the other Sage Corps interns in your city cohort.
You will meet with your cohort throughout the program to participate in cultural events. Our staff will plan an event schedule specific to your time in the city. Past cohorts attended activities such as a gallery show to learn about the Berlin art scene through Street Art Berlin and attend Techstars Demo Day, the top global accelerator for startups.
Your housing is pre-arranged as part of your program. All housing is shared apartment style accommodation with other Sage Corps interns in the city and near public transportation. Although placement locations vary, all housing is within commuting distance of your host company.
Your Berlin City Managers are your go-to local staff during your time abroad. You will meet them upon arrival and they will support you as needed throughout the program.
Sage Corps closely monitors students’ health and safety during our programming. We work with our international medical insurance provider, the U.S. State Department, local government authorities, and our in-country staff to ensure our students’ health and safety.
Learn more about our Health & Safety protocols here.
February 1, 2024 – Priority Application Deadline
March 1, 2024 – Regular Application Deadline*
March 20, 2024 – Late Application Deadline
June 2, 2024 – Arrive in Berlin
June 2-3, 2024 – Sage Corps Orientation
June 4, 2024 – Start Internship
July 26, 2024 – Internship Ends
July 27, 2024 – Program Ends
*Apply early to help increase your chance of getting you first or second choice location abroad.
Program fee and housing: $7,699
- Sage Corps Skills Academy
- Resume review
- Interview preparation training
- Pre-departure advising
- 8-weeks furnished housing
- 2-day Orientation
- Welcome, midpoint, and final cohort dinner
- Internship with startup
- 4 included group activities
- Medical insurance
- 24/7 local staff support
- An unforgettable summer abroad!
What’s not Included
- International flight ($900-$1,600)
- $10 (public transportation), $45 (taxi)
- Visa for U.S. Passport holders – N/A
- Food ($300 – $500 per month)
- Public transportation ($100/per month)
- Bike rental ($150/per month)
- Fan for your room ($45)
- eSIM or phone data ($30/per month)
- Laundry ($6 wash and dry)
- Gifts/Souvenirs ($200)
There are a variety of ways Sage Corps applicants typically fund their program, from university grants, external scholarships, partial Sage Corps scholarships, and parental support. Many of our internship placements also provide a small stipend to help reimburse students for basic costs while abroad. Learn more.